Parkinson’s patients take up boxing to battle diseasePosted: Updated:
East End residents battling with Parkinson’s disease are using a new boxing program to help them battle their disease.
Organizers say the Rock Steady Boxing program helps the patients deal with the physical and mental aspects of the disease.
Trainers say the high-intensity interval training restores confidence and self-esteem.
Stan Stokowski, of Sag Harbor, says he was much more withdrawn and tried to keep his diagnosis to himself before starting the classes.
“It was definitely a feeling more of isolation,” he says. “I was reluctant to tell people about it.”
Another participant, Jean Holden, says the program is all about camaraderie.
“We lift each other’s spirits. You have to make a decision when you're diagnosed with this – [Parkinson’s] either has you or you have it. So, I decided I was going to fight, fight and fight some more,” says Holden.
Rock Steady Boxing has hundreds of chapters worldwide. The program in Sag Harbor was set up by Stony Brook Southampton Hospital. It’s the only one serving eastern Long Island.
- A 10-year-old male student brought a loaded, .40-caliber handgun to Meadow Elementary School in Baldwin on Monday, according to police.
- A downed PSEG power line on the tracks west of the Hicksville Long Island Rail Road station has caused the temporary suspension of the Ronkonkoma, Huntington/Port Jefferson and Oyster Bay branches.
- Police say a school bus driver kissed a 15-year-old Patchogue-Medford School District student who was alone on his bus.
- Six people who police say are MS-13 members are accused of plotting to kill two other gang members between August 2018 and January 2019.
- Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder and Dr. Tanya Adams, a member of Doctors for Cannabis Regulation, joined News 12's Stone Grissom in the studio to discuss the issue.
- Even as floodwaters receded in hard-hit places in in the Midwest, experts warned that with plenty of snow still left to melt in northern states, the relief may only be temporary.
- KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.KISS performs 'End of The Road' tour at Nassau Coliseum.
- Show your Pinstripe Pride!Show your Pinstripe Pride!
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- Money performed on his 70th birthday.Money performed on his 70th birthday.