N. Korea, setting stage for talks, halts nuclear, ICBM tests

Posted: Updated:

By KIM TONG-HYUNG and ERIC TALMADGE
Associated Press

  
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea announced Saturday it will suspend nuclear tests and intercontinental ballistic missile launches ahead of its summits with Seoul and Washington, but stopped well short of suggesting it has any intention of giving up its nuclear weapons or scale back its production of missiles and their related component parts.

The new policy, which sets the table for further negotiations when the summits begin, was announced by leader Kim Jong Un at a meeting of the North Korean ruling party's Central Committee on Friday and reported by the North's state-run media early Saturday.

Kim justified the suspension to his party by saying that the situation around North Korea has been rapidly changing "in favor of the Korean revolution" since he announced last year his country had completed its nuclear forces. He said North Korea has reached the level where it no longer needs to conduct underground testing or test-launching of ICBMs.

He added that the country would close its nuclear testing facility at Punggye-ri, though that site was already believed to have been rendered largely unusable due to tunnel collapses after the North's test of what it claimed was a hydrogen bomb last year.

The announcement is seen as an opening gambit aimed at setting the tone for talks ahead of Kim's summit with South Korean President Moon Jae-in next Friday and U.S. President Donald Trump in late May or early June.

Trump almost immediately responded with a tweet saying, "This is very good news for North Korea and the World" and "big progress!" He added that he's looking forward to his upcoming summit with Kim.

South Korea's presidential office also welcomed North Korea's announcement as "meaningful progress" toward the denuclearization of the peninsula. Presidential official Yoon Young-chan said in a statement that the North's decision brightens the prospects for successful talks between Seoul, Pyongyang and Washington.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe welcomed the announcement too but was a bit more guarded in his reaction.

"What is crucial here ... is how this development is going to lead to the complete, verifiable, and irreversible dismantlement of nuclear arms, weapons of mass destruction and missiles," he said. "And I will keep a close eye on that."

Some analysts believe that rather than denuclearizing, Kim feels he is entering the negotiations from a position of strength and is hoping to achieve tacit recognition that his country is now a nuclear power. They believe he wants engage in talks and make some concessions around the edges that would convince Washington and other countries to ease sanctions on his struggling economy.

In his speech at the party meeting, Kim praised his nuclear policy as "a miraculous victory" achieved in just five years. A resolution passed after his speech also stressed that the country had successfully achieved its goals of obtaining a viable nuclear force and suggested it intends to keep that force - at least for the time being.

Using the acronym for North Korea's official name, it said the North would "never use nuclear weapons nor transfer nuclear weapons or nuclear technology under any circumstances unless there are nuclear threat and nuclear provocation against the DPRK."

"This was a smart move by Kim," said Vipin Narang, an associate political science professor and nuclear proliferation expert at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "Although it largely formalizes previous pledges on the moratoria from last November and March, it still leaves a lot of wiggle room for circumventing the pledges in the future, and nothing in there is irreversible. And nothing in there mentions denuclearization, of any variety."

Narang noted that North Korea has already conducted as many nuclear tests as Pakistan and India, and may indeed not need to conduct any more underground testing.

"The aim of this, in my view, is to make it exceedingly difficult for Trump to say the North is uninterested in talks and walk away," he said. "Kim is doing everything he can now - in a reversible way, mind you - to ensure the summit happens. Because that's his ultimate victory."

Tossing out another nugget that could be used at the summits, Kim stressed at the party meeting his desire to shift the national focus to improving the country's economy, which has been hit hard by international sanctions and the "maximum pressure" strategy pushed by Trump.

The announcement ends what had been an ominous silence from Pyongyang regarding the stunning diplomatic moves Kim has been making since the beginning of this year, including his first summit, with Chinese President Xi Jinping, last month.

It also gives the best idea yet of what Kim intends to bring with him in his summits with Moon and Trump.

Seoul says Kim has expressed genuine interest in dealing away his nuclear weapons. But North Korea for decades has been pushing a concept of "denuclearization" that bears no resemblance to the American definition, vowing to pursue nuclear development unless Washington removes its troops from the peninsula.

Some important items were also left off the North's resolution, suggesting either that the North isn't willing to go that far or that it wants to wait and see how much it can gain by further concessions once actual talks begin.

It did not announce a moratorium on short- or mid-range missile launches or ground-based engine testing. It also did not suspend the production of more fissile material to build additional warheads, or the production of the longer-range missiles, which are Washington's primary concern.

At the height of Pyongyang's standoff with Washington and Seoul last year, North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho told reporters the country could conduct an atmospheric hydrogen bomb test over the Pacific Ocean.

That kind of test would also not be included in the suspension.
 ___
 
Talmadge, the AP's Pyongyang bureau chief, reported from Tokyo.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Top StoriesMore>>

  • African-American student says teacher made ‘big nose’ comment

    African-American student says teacher made ‘big nose’ comment

    Wednesday, October 17 2018 6:25 PM EDT2018-10-17 22:25:39 GMT
    A fourth-grade student at West Middle Island Elementary School says his teacher made a racist comment to him in class on Monday.A fourth-grade student at West Middle Island Elementary School says his teacher made a racist comment to him in class on Monday.
    A fourth-grade student at West Middle Island Elementary School says his teacher made a racist comment to him in class on Monday.A fourth-grade student at West Middle Island Elementary School says his teacher made a racist comment to him in class on Monday.

    A fourth-grade student at West Middle Island Elementary School says his teacher made a racist comment to him in class on Monday.

    A fourth-grade student at West Middle Island Elementary School says his teacher made a racist comment to him in class on Monday.

  • Suffolk police question man accused in armed gas station robberies

    Suffolk police question man accused in armed gas station robberies

    Wednesday, October 17 2018 4:56 PM EDT2018-10-17 20:56:18 GMT
    A Selden man accused of robbing two Suffolk gas stations is slated to be in front of a judge Thursday afternoon.A Selden man accused of robbing two Suffolk gas stations is slated to be in front of a judge Thursday afternoon.

    Police are questioning a Selden man accused of robbing two Suffolk gas stations to see if he is connected to other recent robberies in the county. 

    Police are questioning a Selden man accused of robbing two Suffolk gas stations to see if he is connected to other recent robberies in the county. 

  • Elmont store sells $1 million winning Mega Millions ticket

    Elmont store sells $1 million winning Mega Millions ticket

    Wednesday, October 17 2018 5:56 PM EDT2018-10-17 21:56:56 GMT
    No one won the Mega Millions jackpot in Tuesday night’s drawing, but Long Island has a second-place winner.No one won the Mega Millions jackpot in Tuesday night’s drawing, but Long Island has a second-place winner.

    No one won the Mega Millions jackpot in Tuesday night’s drawing, but Long Island has a second-place winner.

    No one won the Mega Millions jackpot in Tuesday night’s drawing, but Long Island has a second-place winner.

  • SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Sights and scenes from the 2018 Oyster Fest

    Sights and scenes from the 2018 Oyster Fest

    Monday, October 15 2018 10:02 AM EDT2018-10-15 14:02:36 GMT

    Sights and scenes from the 2018 Oyster Fest in Oyster Bay on Oct. 13, 2018.

    Sights and scenes from the 2018 Oyster Fest in Oyster Bay on Oct. 13, 2018.

  • Just Married on Long Island

    Just Married on Long Island

    News 12 Long Island wants to announce your wedding. Share your pictures and videos with News 12 Long Island viewers!

    News 12 Long Island wants to announce your wedding. Share your pictures and videos with News 12 Long Island viewers!

  • Dog Day Fridays for October 12

    Dog Day Fridays for October 12

    Friday, October 12 2018 6:38 AM EDT2018-10-12 10:38:40 GMT
    Monkey is approximately 2 years old. He a super sweet, loving timid dog and would be best as an only dog. He was found on the side of a road and unable to move due to a broken pelvis. He was starving and had lost much of his hair.Monkey is approximately 2 years old. He a super sweet, loving timid dog and would be best as an only dog. He was found on the side of a road and unable to move due to a broken pelvis. He was starving and had lost much of his hair.

    This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. The shelter is located in Island Park. Their phone number is (516) 960-6388. 

    This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. The shelter is located in Island Park. Their phone number is (516) 960-6388. 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."