Ed Mangano attorney: Singh was friend of the familyPosted: Updated:
Former Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano’s attorney Kevin Keating portrayed the prosecution’s star witness as both a friend of the Mangano family and a ruthless businessman willing to commit fraud to succeed.
Harendra Singh was back on the stand Wednesday in the federal corruption trial of Mangano, his wife Linda and former Oyster Bay Town Supervisor John Venditto.
Singh testified earlier in the trial that in the days after Superstorm Sandy, he visited Mangano often at the county's Office of Emergency Management. Singh said his goal was to obtain an emergency $225,000 contract to deliver meals to the first responders who were housed in the building. During Wednesday’s cross-examination, Singh acknowledged that it was OEM Commissioner Craig Craft, not Mangano, who ultimately signed the emergency contract.
Keating also brought up Singh’s attempts to secure a bread and rolls contract with the Nassau County Jail. He had testified last week that he met regularly with Sheriff Michael Sposato at IHOP about the $200,000 contract. Keating suggested Singh had an ulterior motive – lobbying Sposato to get his multimillionaire father-in-law to invest in his businesses. Singh said that was “absolutely not true."
In another point of contention, Keating displayed an email from Mangano to Singh, in which the former county executive informs Singh that he will be visiting Singleton's for lunch with Sen. Charles Schumer. Keating suggested that Mangano did this to give his friend a "heads up" so he can benefit from having such a prestigious guest at his restaurant.
Singh quickly disagreed, saying Mangano did it because he knew Singh would pick up the bill.
Keating continued his attempts to chip away at Singh's credibility, showing how the former self-proclaimed restaurant mogul routinely falsified financial statements, tax returns and other documents related to ongoing litigation. Singh acknowledged committing those crimes.
Ed Mangano appeared to be emotional as his attorney displayed pictures from a 2012 party for his mother at Singleton's. The pictures showed the Manganos smiling and dancing with members of the Singh family. Singh admitted that the Manganos paid for that party at his restaurant.
The trial resumes Thursday.
Power On TrialMore>>
- A guilty verdict in Ed Mangano’s corruption retrial marks the end of an era for Nassau, as well as for the former county executive.A guilty verdict in Ed Mangano’s corruption retrial marks the end of an era for Nassau, as well as for the former county executive.
- There was a strong and swift reaction to the mixed verdict in the federal corruption retrial of former Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano and his wife, Linda.There was a strong and swift reaction to the mixed verdict in the federal corruption retrial of former Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano and his wife, Linda.
- Former Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano and his wife Linda were convicted Friday on multiple counts in their corruption retrial.Former Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano and his wife Linda were convicted Friday on multiple counts in their corruption retrial.
- Prosecutors say Mangano was receiving payoffs from Singh in exchange for his political clout.Prosecutors say Mangano was receiving payoffs from Singh in exchange for his political clout.
- The jury shifted its focus on day 4 of deliberations in the Ed Mangano federal corruption retrial.The jury shifted its focus on day 4 of deliberations in the Ed Mangano federal corruption retrial.
- Detectives are now linking John Miller to burglaries on Sunday at a Medford Walgreens and a gift shop in Lake Ronkonkoma.
- Follow school budget vote results live throughout the night.Follow school budget vote results live throughout the night.
- El testigo clave de la fiscalía en el caso de 'Junior' Guzmán-Feliz testificará una tercera vez esta semana.
- According to police, the driver of the truck was backing into the Handy Pantry parking lot on Smithtown Boulevard in Nesconset Tuesday morning.
- The family is launching its new operation "RGNY" this weekend, according to Newsday.The family is launching its new operation "RGNY" this weekend, according to Newsday.
- Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- This week's pets are up for adoption at Southampton Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 102 Old Riverhead Road West in Hampton Bays. Their phone number is 631-728-7387.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.