28 people suffer CO poisoning after grill used in Mastic home

Posted: Updated:
MASTIC -

Police say 28 people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while attending a party in Mastic Beach.

The incident happened just after 9 p.m. Sunday at a home on Cumberland Street.

Police say a charcoal barbecue was being used in the basement of the home to cook for a family party.

There were reports several people were unconscious, but News 12 has learned everyone managed to evacuate themselves from the home safely.

A total of 14 people had to be hospitalized as result of the incident.

Fire officials say charcoal should never be used inside a home.

Everyone is expected to survive and police say code violations were issued for the indoor barbecue use.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."