Central Islip family loses everything in accidental house fire

Posted: Updated:
CENTRAL ISLIP -

A Central Islip family was able to escape a fire at their home, but has lost everything they owned in the process.

An accidental fire consumed the Rivera family’s house on Friday – a place they have called home for generations. Raymond Rivera returned to the house Saturday morning and didn't find much salvageable.

"Everything else is replaceable, [my family is] not," says Rivera. "So that's why I feel the strength that I could move on, I could keep the faith and just keep moving forward."

The father of five received word of the fire while he was working, and rushed home with no knowledge of the condition of his family.

"When I received the call, it was spotty on who made it out, who didn't, and what was going on," says Rivera. "I was very scared, very nervous. I didn't know what to expect."

Neighbors have pitched in to help the family with supplies as they pick up the pieces.

Fire officials say the blaze does not appear to have been criminal.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."