Garden City mother pushes for EpiPens on all flightsPosted: Updated:
A Garden City mother is pushing for legislation that would require airlines to be equipped with EpiPens after her 10-year-old son suffered a severe allergic reaction mid-flight.
Francine Ingrassia says she had no idea her 10-year-old son Gianluca was allergic to nuts until the family was heading home from a vacation in Aruba on an American Airlines flight.
Since the boy had never been diagnosed with an allergy, the family didn't carry an EpiPen. The flight attendant made an overhead announcement for medical help and a nurse came forward.
Two passengers rushed over with their own EpiPens, which the nurse administered.
“The scariest thing was that American Airlines did not have an epi pen [sic] in their medical kits and served nuts on a plane,” Ingrassia said in a Facebook post.
The family now takes precautions and carries an EpiPen. But Ingrassia says her real concern is airline passengers who don't know if they have allergies.
“I just want to raise awareness,” she told News 12. “I just feel that every airline and every carrier should have an EpiPen in their medical kit.”
Ingrassia is hoping her story will revive a federal bill that would have required airlines to stock each plane with at least two packs of EpiPens and train air crew members on how to use them.
- The crash happened on the southbound side of Route 135, about 200 yards from where it begins off Jericho Turnpike.
Univision 41 News Brief: Policía de NYC tiene nuevas pistas en el caso del brutal ataque en el subwayLa golpiza ocurrió en El Bronx en el tren D en noviembre del 2018.La golpiza ocurrió en El Bronx en el tren D en noviembre del 2018.
- Wyandanch's proposed $78 million spending plan came with a 40% school tax hike.Wyandanch's proposed $78 million spending plan came with a 40% school tax hike.
- Prospects for passing a large infrastructure bill evaporated Wednesday as Trump announced that he won't work with Democratic lawmakers on policy while they continue to investigate him.
- A new effort is underway in Albany to close a controversial East End sand-mining operation that has already had its permits revoked.
- Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- This week's pets are up for adoption at Southampton Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 102 Old Riverhead Road West in Hampton Bays. Their phone number is 631-728-7387.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.