Officials: Don't risk safety to keep warm amid deep freeze

Posted: Updated:
WOODBURY -

Officials are urging Long Islanders not to risk safety to keep warm amid the recent burst of cold weather. 

John Wolffe, at the Nassau County Firefighters Museum, says plug-in devices such as space heaters can be dangerous if used improperly.

He says it's a good idea to avoid using extension cords with space heaters, and to keep anything that could burn at least 3 feet away. 

MORE: Long Island Weather Center

MORE: Information on Warming Centers

"Feel the wire to the appliance and the outlet it's plugged into to make sure it's not warm to the touch. If it's warm to the touch, discontinue using it," says Wolffe. 

Experts say residents should only burn dry, seasoned firewood in fireplaces and make sure to have a sturdy screen or a glass door in front of the flame.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."