Father lobbies to make drug, alcohol testing mandatory in any fatal crashPosted: Updated:
A Long Island father is trying to get Gov. Andrew Cuomo to sign a bill that would make drug and alcohol testing mandatory in any fatal crash after his son was killed while crossing the street.
James Walker was a 26-year-old medical student when he was struck and killed by a driver on Union Boulevard in Brightwaters in 2011.
His father, Phillip Walker, says that a bag of Adderall was found in the driver's vehicle, but she was never tested for drugs or alcohol.
Walker hopes that the governor can change current New York state law that allows for testing, but gives law enforcement the ability to decide whether it is warranted.
Cuomo has until Monday to sign the bill or Walker will have to start the whole lobbying process over again.
"It's a common sense thing, I don't know what my next step is. I don't know what I have to do. I'd have to rethink everything I've done for the past six years,” says Walker.
Walker says he knows nothing can bring his son back, but he hopes he can help protect other families from the grief he lives with every single day.
The bill has passed both the state Senate and Assembly.
Gov. Cuomo's signature is the last step before the drug and alcohol testing bill becomes law.
The law currently exists in several other states, including New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Loved ones are remembering a young father killed in a drive-by shooting in Plainview.Loved ones are remembering a young father killed in a drive-by shooting in Plainview.
- Suffolk police were called to a home on Bittersweet Lane in Center Moriches around 9:40 a.m. Friday.Suffolk police were called to a home on Bittersweet Lane in Center Moriches around 9:40 a.m. Friday.
- Gov. Andrew Cuomo is set to reveal his 2020-21 budget Tuesday that includes the legalization of recreational marijuana and plans to fill a $6 billion budget deficit, which according to Newsday is threatening funding for schools and health care.
Univision 41 News Brief: Policía intensifica búsqueda de sospechoso que arrastró y violó a una mujer
Univision 41 News Brief: Policía intensifica búsqueda de sospechoso que arrastró y violó a una mujerPolicía de Queens intensifica la búsqueda de sospechoso que arrastró y violó a una mujer en un callejón.
- Vice President Mike Pence gave a speech Sunday in remembrance of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. at a church service in Tennessee.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. They brought three puppies!This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. They brought three puppies!
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.