Trees for Troops: Donated Christmas trees being shipped overseasPosted: Updated:
Santa Claus and some of his elves were at John F. Kennedy International Airport to help prepare a special delivery for brave men and women who are serving the country.
The initiative is called Trees for Troops. Dee's Nursery of Oceanside and DHL teamed up with many Long Islanders to donate and deliver free Christmas trees to U.S. servicemen and women overseas.
"They're risking their lives, they're away from their families this time of the year, the holiday season. If we can give them a little bit of Christmas, then it's a good thing," says Cain Moodie, DHL senior vice president of operations.
Since it began 14 years ago, the mission has really taken root. This year, 500 trees are being shipped to U.S. military bases in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Children have also made heartfelt cards, which are being delivered with the trees.
Rockville Centre resident Marianna Winchester says her son, 1st Lt. Ronald Winchester, loved receiving the Christmas trees. He was killed in action in 13 years ago.
"Even after the period in which he was killed in 2004, we continue to send the trees over, and his men still receive the trees and it's kept his memory alive," she says.
Service members say what they love most is the smell of the trees, because the scent of fresh pine reminds them of being home for the holidays.
- More than 100 tenants at an apartment building in Hempstead were forced from their homes Wednesday due to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
- Chester is being temporarily cared for by foster owners.Chester is being temporarily cared for by foster owners.
- The Nassau County comptroller was in the hot seat Wednesday over how the county fell victim of a costly phishing scam.
- Just hours after receiving 99.7% of the vote from the Baseball Writers' Association of America to elect him into Baseball Hall of Fame, Yankees legend Derek Jeter got the Cooperstown jersey to show for it.
- Manning was the MVP of Super Bowl XLII and Super Bowl XLVI in his team's victories over the New England Patriots.
- Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.Chinese health authorities urged people in the city of Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. They brought three puppies!This week's dogs are up for adoption at Ruff House Rescue. They brought three puppies!
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.