Officials offer Christmas tree safety tipsPosted: Updated:
Nassau County officials held a demonstration in Old Bethpage Tuesday to show how quickly a dry Christmas tree can go up in flames.
They advise residents to make sure to water the tree every day and don't keep a fresh tree in the house much longer than two weeks.
Officials say to make sure to keep the tree away from radiators, space heaters and fireplaces. It's also important to make sure the tree is not near an exit staircase, so if something goes wrong, people can get out safely.
Other important tips include making sure wires on the lights are not exposed and checking that the smoke detectors are working.