Long Island Naturally: Self Care for ColdsPosted: Updated:
Tips to help you get over a cold:
- Get rest. Go to bed early - that is when your body repairs itsel.
- Eliminate all sugar and dairy. Sugar is very acidic and dairy is mucous producing.
- If you don't have high blood pressure, try a half teaspoon of baking soda. The trick is to have it on an empty stomach and away from meals. It's alkalizing and seems to interfere with digesting food.
- Turmeric is as good as aspirin at relieving inflammation but also fights viruses. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric has stopped cold viruses from replicating in lab experiments. Turmeric is also good for your skin, and is said to prevent Alzheimer's.
- Chicken soup. Some studies show it helps thin mucous.
- Coconut oil can also have a positive effect on colds.