Dog that went missing in Florida turns up in New YorkPosted: Updated:
A dog that went missing in Florida more than a year ago has made its way to Long Island, and a local rescue group is now working to reunite the pooch with its original owners.
The small but spirited shepherd mix was found by a Queens woman earlier in the week. According to Bobbi and the Strays Animal Rescue volunteer Myra Kennett, the dog was then taken to their Freeport location.
The 4-year-old dog named Relay was scanned for a micro chip, and Kennett says they were shocked to find out the dog's owners were located in West Palm Beach, Florida.
Her original owners, Dawn and Rick Monec, tell News 12 that Relay had dug her way out of their Florida yard more than a year ago, and was then apparently stolen at a nearby gas station. But their son didn't stop asking if Relay would ever be found.
Now the Florida residents -- who are still cleaning up from Hurricane Irma -- say they're in a state of disbelief that Relay is OK after turning up in New York.
Volunteers at Bobbi and the Strays say they are working to get Relay back home. But the rescue group, which is mostly made up of volunteers, is hoping for some help from the public to get Relay down to Florida. They are asking anyone who can help to get in touch with the shelter.
- Fourteen people have been indicted in a Nassau County drug ring tied to a fatal overdose, prosecutors say.
- A 29-year-old man fatally stabbed his mother and wounded his father during an argument Wednesday night at their family home in Syosset, according to police.
- Demonstrators hit the streets Thursday to call on Gov. Andrew Cuomo and state lawmakers to pass a measure that would allow undocumented immigrants to get driver's licenses.
- "Game of Thrones" actress Emilia Clarke revealed Thursday that she has had two life-threatening aneurysms, and two brain surgeries, since the show began.
- The World Video Game Hall of Fame fielded thousands of nominations for the Class of 2019 from more than 100 countries, hall officials said Thursday after narrowing the field to 12.
- The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.
- The 2019 New York City St. Patrick's Day parade was held Saturday, March 16 along Fifth Avenue, from 44th Street to 79th Street.
- Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.Performers at the Great South Bay Music Festival in Patchogue July 18 - July 21.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- With spring just days away, Newsday's Jennifer Berger shows News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen some hot toys that will be sure to warm up your spring!