Trump expected to end program for young immigrants

Posted: Updated:

(AP) - President Donald Trump is expected to announce that he will end protections for young immigrants who were brought into the country illegally as children, but with a six-month delay, people familiar with the plans said.

The delay in the formal dismantling of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA program, would be intended to give Congress time to decide whether it wants to address the status of the so-called Dreamers legislation, according to two people familiar with the president's thinking. But it was not immediately clear how the six-month delay would work in practice and what would happen to people who currently have work permits under the program, or whose permits expire during the six-month stretch. 

It also was unclear exactly what would happen if Congress failed to pass a measure by the considered deadline, they said. The two spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter ahead of a planned Tuesday announcement.

The president, who has been grappling with the issue for months, has been known to change his mind in the past and could still shift course. The plan was first reported by Politico Sunday evening.

Trump has been wrestling for months with what to do with the Obama-era DACA program, which has given nearly 800,000 young immigrants a reprieve from deportation and the ability to work legally in the form of two-year, renewable work permits.

The expected move would come as the White House faces a Tuesday deadline set by Republican state officials threatening to sue the Trump administration if the president did not end the program. It also would come as Trump digs in on appeals to his base as he finds himself increasingly under fire, with his poll numbers at near-record lows.

Trump had been personally torn as late as last week over how to deal with what are undoubtedly the most sympathetic immigrants living in the U.S. illegally. Many came to the U.S. as young children and have no memories of the countries they were born in.

During his campaign, Trump slammed DACA as illegal "amnesty" and vowed to eliminate the program the day he took office. But since his election, Trump has wavered on the issue, at one point telling The Associated Press that those covered could "rest easy."

Trump had been unusually candid as he wrestled with the decision in the early months of his administration. During a February press conference, he said the topic was "a very, very difficult subject for me, I will tell you. To me, it's one of the most difficult subjects I have." 

"You have some absolutely incredible kids - I would say mostly," he said, adding: "I love these kids."

All the while, his administration continued to process applications and renew DACA work permits, to the dismay of immigration hard-liners.

News of the president's expected decision drew strong reactions from advocates on both sides of the issue.

"IF REPORTS ARE TRUE, Pres Trump better prepare for the civil rights fight of his admin. A clean DREAM Act is now a Nat Emergency #DefendDACA," tweeted New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez, a Democrat.

Republican Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida, tweeted: "After teasing #Dreamers for months with talk of his "great heart," POTUS slams door on them. Some 'heart'..."

But Rep. Steve King, an Iowa Republican who has called DACA unconstitutional, warned that a delay in dismantling it would amount to "Republican suicide."

"Ending DACA now gives chance 2 restore Rule of Law. Delaying so R Leadership can push Amnesty is Republican suicide," he wrote.

It would be up to members of Congress to pass a measure to protect those who have been covered under the program. While there is considerable support for that among Democrats and moderate Republicans, Congress is already facing a packed fall agenda and has had a poor track record in recent years for passing immigration-related bills.

House Speaker Paul Ryan and a number of other legislators urged Trump last week to hold off on scrapping DACA to give them time to come up with a legislative fix.

"These are kids who know no other country, who are brought here by their parents and don't know another home. And so I really do believe that there needs to be a legislative solution," Ryan told Wisconsin radio station WCLO.

The Obama administration created the DACA program in 2012 as a stopgap to protect some young immigrants from deportation as they pushed unsuccessfully for a broader immigration overhaul in Congress   

The program protected people in the country illegally who could prove they arrived before they were 16, had been in the United States for several years and had not committed a crime while being here. It mimicked versions of the so-called DREAM Act, which would have provided legal status for young immigrants but was never passed by Congress.

As of July 31, 2015, more than 790,000 young immigrants had been approved under the program, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The House under Democratic control passed a Dream Act in 2010 but it died in the Senate. Since Republicans retook control of the House in late 2010, it has taken an increasingly hard line on immigration. House Republicans refused to act on the Senate's comprehensive immigration bill in 2013. Two years later, a GOP border security bill languished because of objections from conservatives.

Many House Republicans represent highly conservative districts. The primary upset of the former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor to a conservative challenger in 2014 in a campaign that cast him as soft on illegal immigration convinced many House Republicans that pro-immigrant stances could cost them politically.

So despite Ryan's personal commitment on the issue and his comments in favor of the young immigrants, action to protect them may be unlikely in the House - absent intense lobbying from Trump.
    
 

  • Long Island Top StoriesMore>>

  • NTSB takes over probe of Lynbrook LIRR platform death

    NTSB takes over probe of Lynbrook LIRR platform death

    Thursday, April 26 2018 11:52 AM EDT2018-04-26 15:52:21 GMT
    The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

    Federal investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board are taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

    Federal investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board are taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

  • What's in the Water: Eco-friendly water treatment in Suffolk

    What's in the Water: Eco-friendly water treatment in Suffolk

    Thursday, April 26 2018 9:49 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:49:42 GMT
    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

  • Reward offered in Uniondale armed home invasion

    Reward offered in Uniondale armed home invasion

    Thursday, April 26 2018 5:41 AM EDT2018-04-26 09:41:05 GMT
    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.

    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
     

    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
     

  • SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Global Premiere for 'Avengers: Infinity War'

    Global Premiere for 'Avengers: Infinity War'

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.
    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Infinity War" was on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Infinity War" was on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

  • President Trump hosts 1st state dinner

    President Trump hosts 1st state dinner

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

  • Duke and Duchess of Cambridge welcome baby boy

    Duke and Duchess of Cambridge welcome baby boy

    It's the third child for Kate and Prince William, and he's fifth in line to the British throne.

    It's the third child for Kate and Prince William, and he's fifth in line to the British throne.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."