Tillerson urges calm on North Korea, says no imminent threat

Posted: Updated:

By JOSH LEDERMAN
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Secretary of State Rex Tillerson urged calm and said Americans should have "no concerns" after North Korea and President Donald Trump traded fiery threats, insisting Wednesday he doesn't believe there is "any imminent threat."

"Americans should sleep well at night," Tillerson said.

In more tranquil terms, Tillerson sought to explain the thinking behind Trump's warning to Pyongyang that it would be "met with fire and fury like the world has never seen" if it made more threats to the United States. Tillerson said Trump was trying to send a strong and clear message to North Korea's leader so that there wouldn't be "any miscalculation."

"What the president is doing is sending a strong message to North Korea in language that Kim Jong Un can understand, because he doesn't seem to understand diplomatic language," Tillerson said. "I think the president just wanted to be clear to the North Korean regime on the U.S. unquestionable ability to defend itself, will defend itself and its allies."

He said North Korea's escalating threats showed it was feeling the pressure from a successful U.S. strategy.

Tillerson downplayed any speculation that the alarming developments suggested the U.S. was moving closer to a military option to dealing with the crisis over the North's nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

"Nothing that I have seen and nothing that I know of would indicate that the situation has dramatically changed in the last 24 hours," Tillerson said.

Tillerson spoke to reporters aboard his plane as he returned from Malaysia to Washington, stopping along the way in Guam. Hours earlier, North Korea's army had said in a statement it was exploring plans for attacking the tiny U.S. territory, which houses U.S. military bases and is a common refueling stop for U.S. government aircraft traversing the Pacific Ocean.

Tillerson said he never considered re-routing his trip from Malaysia so as to avoid stopping in Guam. Though he insisted there was no imminent threat, he noted that even if there were, "the North Korean missile capability can point in many directions, so Guam is not the only place that would be under threat."

The comments put Tillerson once again in the role of translating the president's aggressive rhetoric into more diplomatic terms, and of working to minimize the chances of a public panic. Though it's extremely unlikely the North would risk annihilation by pre-emptively attacking American citizens, the escalating rhetoric has heightened concern that a miscalculation could spiral out of control and lead to military conflict - a concern that residents of Guam said they felt particularly acutely.

Tillerson, who spent the past days in Asia working the North Korea conflict, said he didn't believe a new diplomatic strategy was needed. To the contrary, he said the latest threat from the North suggested the current strategy was working. After months of frustration over China's reluctance to pressure Pyongyang economically, the U.S. on Saturday secured a unanimous U.N. Security Council vote to authorize sweeping new sanctions that target one-third of the North's exports.

"The pressure is starting to show," Tillerson said. "I think that's why the rhetoric coming out of Pyongyang is beginning to become louder and more threatening. Whether we've got them backed into a corner or not is difficult to say, but diplomatically, you never like to have someone in a corner without a way for them to get out."

To that end, Tillerson said there was still an off-ramp available to Pyongyang: A return to negotiations with the U.S., a step that Tillerson has previously said can happen only if Kim Jong Un's government gives up its nuclear aspirations, starting with an extended pause in missile tests.

"Talks," Tillerson said when asked if North Korea had a way out. "Talks, with the right expectation of what those talks will be about."

___

Reach Josh Lederman on Twitter at http://twitter.com/joshledermanAP

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Long Island Top StoriesMore>>

  • NTSB takes over probe of Lynbrook LIRR platform death

    NTSB takes over probe of Lynbrook LIRR platform death

    Wednesday, April 25 2018 10:04 PM EDT2018-04-26 02:04:25 GMT
    The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

    The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

    The federal government is taking over the investigation into the death of a man at the Long Island Rail Road station in Lynbrook.

  • What's in the Water: Eco-friendly water treatment in Suffolk

    What's in the Water: Eco-friendly water treatment in Suffolk

    Thursday, April 26 2018 8:00 AM EDT2018-04-26 12:00:30 GMT
    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.
    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

    Suffolk County is promoting an eco-friendly water treatment device that replaces cesspools or septic tanks in an effort to help clean up Long Island's groundwater and save its bays.

  • Reward offered in Uniondale armed home invasion

    Reward offered in Uniondale armed home invasion

    Thursday, April 26 2018 5:41 AM EDT2018-04-26 09:41:05 GMT
    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.

    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
     

    Detectives say on March 31, three Hispanic men broke into a home on Harrison Street.
     

  • SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Global Premiere for 'Avengers: Infinity War'

    Global Premiere for 'Avengers: Infinity War'

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.
    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios? "Avengers: Infinity War" on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Infinity War" was on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

    The Los Angeles Global Premiere for Marvel Studios' "Avengers: Infinity War" was on April 23, 2018 in Hollywood, California.

  • President Trump hosts 1st state dinner

    President Trump hosts 1st state dinner

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

    U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcomed French President Emmanuel Macron and French first lady Brigitte Macron for the state dinner during visit to the White House.

  • Duke and Duchess of Cambridge welcome baby boy

    Duke and Duchess of Cambridge welcome baby boy

    It's the third child for Kate and Prince William, and he's fifth in line to the British throne.

    It's the third child for Kate and Prince William, and he's fifth in line to the British throne.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."