MTA approves funding for proposed LIRR 3rd track projectPosted: Updated:
The MTA has approved funding for a proposed third track on the Long Island Rail Road.
The board adopted a capital program yesterday that includes funding to build a third track between Floral Park and Hicksville.
The $2 billion project is set to begin later this year.
According to officials, the funding also provides money for subway and bus improvements in New York City.
The railroad says the third track will improve service. However, residents who live near the proposed track have fought it and are worried about losing land or noise.
News 12 has recently updated to a brand new version of our iOS and Android apps. If you don't have auto updates enabled on your devices, head to the App Store or Google Play Store to update to the latest version. This will ensure you keep getting up-to-date local news, traffic and weather information.
- The home decor retailer says it's racked up $59 million in losses.The home decor retailer says it's racked up $59 million in losses.
- The incident happened just before 11:30 p.m. Monday.The incident happened just before 11:30 p.m. Monday.
- Although it's five months away, the Great South Bay Music Festival has announced its initial performer list for 2020.
- This week's dogs are up for adoption at Last Chance Animal Rescue. They brought four puppies!This week's dogs are up for adoption at Last Chance Animal Rescue. They brought four puppies!
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!
- View and share photos of your loved ones on Valentine's Day.View and share photos of your loved ones on Valentine's Day.
- Check out some of the performances at My Father's Place, The Space at Westbury, Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts, Tilles Center and the Suffolk Theater.