MTA approves funding for proposed LIRR 3rd track projectPosted: Updated:
The MTA has approved funding for a proposed third track on the Long Island Rail Road.
The board adopted a capital program yesterday that includes funding to build a third track between Floral Park and Hicksville.
The $2 billion project is set to begin later this year.
According to officials, the funding also provides money for subway and bus improvements in New York City.
The railroad says the third track will improve service. However, residents who live near the proposed track have fought it and are worried about losing land or noise.
News 12 has recently updated to a brand new version of our iOS and Android apps. If you don't have auto updates enabled on your devices, head to the App Store or Google Play Store to update to the latest version. This will ensure you keep getting up-to-date local news, traffic and weather information.
- If you are a grouch, today is your special day. Happy National Grouch Day!If you are a grouch, today is your special day. Happy National Grouch Day!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Long Island wants to see your Fall Fun pics!
- Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!Did you do something fun with your kids this weekend? Share your adventure with us!
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the island for beer-lovers to visit.
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.