Police: Suspect dead in apparent suicide inside Center Moriches churchPosted: Updated:
The suspect who barricaded himself inside a Center Moriches church Friday afternoon died in an apparent suicide, according to Suffolk County Police Commissioner Tim Sini.
Sini says an off-duty NYPD officer saw the suspect in the church parking lot attempting to light his van on fire. That's when the suspect noticed police around 1:30 p.m.
Police say officers on the scene at St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church on Ocean Avenue observed what appeared to be incendiary devices, including propane tanks at the church's front entrance.
When officers attempted to gain entry into the building, police say the suspect "threw gasoline at the officer and attempted to light a match." The officer was unharmed.
Commissioner Sini did not comment when asked about a potential motive, citing the ongoing investigation. He also declined to identify the suspect.
Friday night, the Diocese of Rockville Centre released a statement in which Bishop John Barres says the church is praying for the suspect and his family. Barres adds that Mass services will still happen Sunday, but will be held inside the Catholic school auditorium on the same property.
News 12 has recently updated to a brand new version of our iOS and Android apps. If you don't have auto updates enabled on your devices, head to the App Store or Google Play Store to update to the latest version. This will ensure you keep getting up-to-date local news, traffic and weather information.
- Long Island residents will be seeking out pools, cooling centers and beaches during this weekend's heat wave.Long Island residents will be seeking out pools, cooling centers and beaches during this weekend's heat wave.
- The heat is expected to ramp up even more Saturday as a sweltering weekend continues.The heat is expected to ramp up even more Saturday as a sweltering weekend continues.
- The arson squad is investigating a suspicious house fire in New Cassel that left two firefighters hurt.The arson squad is investigating a suspicious house fire in New Cassel that left two firefighters hurt.
- Police are searching for two men behind an armed robbery at a 7-Eleven in Elmont.Police are searching for two men behind an armed robbery at a 7-Eleven in Elmont.
- Police say a mother and daughter were rescued while kayaking in the Long Island Sound Friday night.Police say a mother and daughter were rescued while kayaking in the Long Island Sound Friday night.