State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman sues Thomas Datre Jr., 2 dozen companies for toxic dumping in Brentwood

Posted: Updated:
BRENTWOOD -

State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman on Thursday announced lawsuits again the man who pleaded guilty for toxic dumping at Roberto Clemente Park in Brentwood and the more than two dozen companies he says are also responsible. 

The park has been closed for four years due to tons of contaminants that were dumped. Schneiderman made the announcement from outside the locked gates of the park. 

"We tracked back to 13 different construction sites in New York City and Nassau and Suffolk County, figured out where the waste came from that got dumped out here, and identified the contractors and subcontractors who were responsible for that waste," says Schneiderman. 

Thomas Datre Jr. was sentenced last week to a year in jail after pleading guilty to four felony charges related to the toxic dumping. 

Schneiderman says he expects to recover millions from the lawsuit – all of which he says must go to restore, replace or acquire park land in the impacted area. 

State lawmakers say it is essential that more security be part of the plan as well in the wake of gang violence in the community. 
 

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."