Officials eye propane tank as cause of Smithtown house fire

Posted: Updated:
SMITHTOWN -

Fire officials say it appears an outside explosion started a fire that gutted a home on Sunrise Lane in Smithtown.

Neighbors called News 12 around 8:20 p.m. Wednesday to say they heard the loud sound.

Firefighters say a woman at the home suffered burns and was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital. Her injuries were not serious.

Fire officials are investigating, but believe a propane tank may have exploded.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."