Trump's budget cuts would gut some LI community programs
Some communities on Long Island are set to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars for essential programs if President Donald Trump's proposed cuts to Community Development Block Grant funds are approved.
That grant money is distributed to various nonprofits that provide critical public services to at-risk populations - such as job training, senior and youth programs, cleaning up blighted properties and improvements to parks.
The MLK Center in Long Beach gets more than $100,000 of the city's $400,000 CDBG fund allocation. James Hodge says that money supports dozens of the center's education, nutrition and social programs.
Long Beach City Manager Jack Schnirman says the council has sent a letter to the White House hoping the president will back off from the funding cuts. Schnirman says if not, making up the lost money would be extremely difficult, if not impossible.
"Small, struggling municipalities can't take on major new funding streams," says Schnirman. "For example, this would be more than a 1 percent increase in taxes."
Friday afternoon, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand joined 41 other senators to urge the Appropriations Committee to insure $3 billion dollars would go toward CDBG funds. Last year, Long Island received more than $19 million in those funds.