Suffolk family suffers CO poisoning inside home

A family was brought to the hospital Monday after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning inside their Lake Grove home.



Ryan Cox, an Iraq War veteran, and his wife Sara were woken at 7:22 a.m. when his son Mason began screaming uncontrollably. He then noticed that his 6-year-old daughter Illyana lost consciousness.



A family member drove them to Stony Brook University Hospital, and they were then transported to John T. Mather Memorial Hospital. They received their last treatment in hyperbaric chambers Tuesday.



Cox says they still need to get to the bottom of why this incident occurred in a home with two carbon monoxide detectors. His wife says she couldn't be more thankful that Mason woke when he did, saving the family's life.



The Cox family says the ventilation for their dryer was improperly installed. They are now fixing the problem.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."