Kerosene space heaters pose winter danger

Fire officials say a Bay Shore business' two buildings were evacuated yesterday due to carbon monoxide released by kerosene heaters.



Dozens of people at US Industries escaped carbon monoxide poisoning.



Experts warn that people should never use space heaters fueled by kerosene or propane indoors.



"They will produce carbon monoxide and should not be indoors where there is no ventilation," says John Murray, of the Nassau County Fire Museum.



In addition to using smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, experts say to never use ovens to heat homes and to make sure heating equipment and chimneys are inspected yearly. Detectors should be tested monthly, and batteries should be changed every six months. Residents should also be careful to turn portable heaters off after use.



 



 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."