School aide Mary Delponte saves student from choking at Great Neck Middle School
A school aide in Great Neck saved a student's life last week when he started choking in the cafeteria.
Eighth-grader Azim Keswani says he was having lunch at Great Neck Middle School when he started choking on his food. His friends quickly alerted school aide Mary Delponte and she came over to help.
Delponte says Keswani's face was turning gray, so she hit him on the back and then performed the Heimlich maneuver, which got the stuck food out of his throat.
For the past 20 years, school staff has been properly trained on how to help someone who is choking.