Syosset Fire Department urges fire safety as temperatures drop

As the temperature drops and the cost of heating homes rises, the Syosset Fire Department is offering tips to prevent fires this winter.

While many may look to fireplaces and space heaters to reduce expenses, these options may be risky alternatives if not managed properly. Fireplaces and chimneys should be cleaned yearly, ashes should be kept in outdoor containers and a fireplace screen should always be used.

Space heaters should be given at least three feet of space and should be used for three years only. The cord should be checked for excessive heat or cracks, and extension cords should never be used.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."