Officials probe Central Islip fire that gutted apparent boarding house

An early-morning fire at a suspected boarding home in Central Islip Wednesday left several people homeless.

Tenants in the two-story house on West Suffolk Avenue say there were at least 13 people living in the homes apartments. The Town of Islip says there are several violations at the home, which is zoned for single-family use. The town says it is prepared to prosecute accordingly.

The cause of the fire appears to be electrical, according to arson investigators. Two people were treated for smoke inhalation, another for burns and a broken toe.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."