Chemical leak leads to evacuations in Massapequa
Homes near Sunrise Mall in Massapequa were evacuated Thursday after a waste truck began leaking chemicals.
Firefighters armed with oxygen masks closed off a parking lot behind the mall. The leak sent potentially dangerous fumes into a nearby neighborhood, causing police to quickly evacuate homes on Eastgate Road. Clean up crews say the driver of the truck unknowingly emptied an industrial acid into a tanker while picking up waste oil from an abandoned gas station. The fuel acid leaked onto the pavement and into a nearby storm drain.
People were forced out of their homes for approximately six hours. Officials say all the chemicals were contained and there is no longer any risk to nearby homes or mall shoppers.