Off-duty firefighter rescues elderly West Islip man from house fire

A West Islip house was heavily damaged by a fire Thursday night, but the elderly man inside was rescued by an off-duty firefighter.

Al Cinotti, a member of the West Islip Fire Department, says he was driving on Higbie Lane after work when he saw a house on fire. Cinotti called the fire into the station and then rushed into the home. He found 78-year-old Adrian Woodward inside and was able to pull him out to safety. Cinotti was also able to rescue Woodward?s dog.

Woodward was treated for smoke inhalation and is listed in critical condition at Good Samaritan Hospital. Police say the fire was caused by electrical wiring beneath the kitchen floor.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."