Parents, fire officials outraged over unreported Bellmore school gas leak
Fire officials and parents are outraged Thursday after an unreported gas leak forced the evacuation of the Newbridge Road Elementary School in North Bellmore.
School officials say they first found the leak Tuesday and that KeySpan was brought in to inspect the problem while students remained in their classrooms. Firefighters say they heard about the leak through word of mouth and not through a call. They say they were officially notified hours later.
The superintendent assures parents that they were given the all clear and that children were never at risk. Officials say the fire marshal has been called in to review emergency procedures and protocols.