1 killed in fatal Hicksville house fire

A house fire in Hicksville claimed the life of a 23-year-old man Wednesday morning, despite attempts of his volunteer firefighter neighbor to save him.

Officials believe Richard Green may have been sleeping and didn?t know the house was on fire. Green lived in an upstairs bedroom.

Volunteer firefighter Pete Keller says when he realized the fire was next door, he immediately ran there. Without his fire gear, he proceeded into the home but says the heat and smoke were too intense.

Fire officials say an old power strip near the upstairs bedroom likely caused the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."