2 injured in Bay Shore gas explosion

Two people were injured Thursday night after a gas explosion in Bay Shore.

David O'Neill, 22, says he and his family were smelling gas for days at their Potter Boulevard home. He says his father went out to check the tank Thursday night when it suddenly exploded.

Officials say O'Neill's parents were burned on more than 60 percent of their bodies. The explosion was caused by leaking propane ignited when someone tried to light the stove, according to authorities.

The house was illegally turned into a three-family home, according to authorities. The Town of Islip says the owner of the home has been issued violation notices and appearance tickets before.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."