DA: Hofstra student recants gang rape story

(AP) - Authorities say the HofstraUniversity student who told police that she had been gang-raped byfive men on campus has recanted her story. Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said in astatement released late Wednesday that the alleged victim told lawenforcement officials that the sex was consensual. Rice said Nassau County Judge Robert Bruno then dismissed thecharges against the four men and ordered their release. The 18-year-old student had accused the men, one of them aHofstra student, of taking her cell phone at an on-campus nightcluband luring her into a dormitory men's room and sexually assaultingher early Sunday. Four of the accused men, Rondell Bedward, Jesus Ortiz, KevinTaveras and Stalin Felipe were arrested and arraigned on rape andother charges. If convicted they would have faced 25 years inprison.Newsday - DA: Hofstra student lied about rape; 4 released

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."