Rice: Hofstra accuser 'very troubled'
? Nassau County District Attorney said Thursday that the Hofstra student who accused four men of rape recanted her story based on the possible existence of a video.
During a news conference, Rice said the 18-year-old woman admitted the sexual encounters were consensual after investigators told her a video of the incident may exist.
?In her conversations with prosecutors, the story of the accuser slowly, but steadily, began to unravel,? Rice said.
News 12 Long Island has learned the student is Danmell Ndonye, of Manhattan. Officials have not released her name though.
A source inside the Nassau County District Attorney?s Office told Newsday earlier in the day that the woman recanted based on information that parts of the sexual encounter had been caught on video.
Rice also called the student, "A very troubled young woman in need of much help."
According to Rice, the woman had a discussion with her boyfriend before the rape claim.
The district attorney went on to say that she fears a false rape claim will affect other cases in which someone was actually assaulted.
The name of the woman is being withheld pending a criminal investigation, Rice said. Not citing the woman directly, Rice did say it is against the law to report a crime that didn?t occur.
Jesus Ortiz, Kevin Taveras, Stalin Felipe and Rondell Bedward were freed Wednesday night after Rice says the woman changed her story.
Taveras has worked for Cablevision's information technology department since 2007, his lawyer said. Cablevision is the parent company of News 12 Long Island.
To watch Rice's full news conference, go to Channel 612 on your iO digital cable box and select iO Extra.