Officials: Smoking may have caused fatal blaze

An elderly man is dead after a fire at a home in Hewlett.

Officials say the fire broke out at around 3 a.m. at a home on Sutton Lane.

Fire officials say 86-year-old Adam Rafalowicz?s body was found in a bathroom at the home.

Investigators say they believe Rafalowicz was a heavy smoker and are trying to determine if that may have accidentally caused the fire.

According to family members, Rafalowicz was known to smoke carelessly and in bed from time to time.

Neighbors say Rafalowicz was a Holocaust survivor and made a life in Hewlett as a doctor.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."