20 sick after carbon monoxide leak reported at Bay Shore home on Brentwood Road

Five Bay Shore residents were hospitalized and more than a dozen rescuers were injured after being overcome by carbon monoxide in a home on Brentwood Road.



Police say a call was made to 911 just before midnight on Friday to report that residents were having trouble breathing.



Neighbors say that police had to break down the door to get in. Officials evacuated everyone inside the home after discovering the leak.



The five residents taken to the hospital are in serious condition.



Two police officers were taken to the hospital as well. 13 firefighters were treated for minor exposure to carbon monoxide at the scene.



Bay Shore Fire Department Chief Brian Butler says a generator was being used by the home to provide electricity. He says that after contacting PSEG, it was discovered that electrical services to the home had been cut off days ago, although no reason was given as to why.



Police have not yet identified the victims.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."