Passerby rescues Uniondale family from blaze

An elderly man and 4-year-old child narrowly escaped their burning Uniondale home Monday thanks to a brave passerby.

Rohon Ray says he was driving when he saw the flames shooting out of the second floor of a home on Southern Parkway. He says when he got inside, the child told him his grandfather was inside.

Ray managed to lead them both to safety.

Fire officials say the boy?s mother left him alone with his 85-year-old visually impaired grandfather for only a few minutes.

The second floor of the home collapsed and the first sustained severe water damage. Authorities say the fire likely started due to an overloaded surge protector.

Nassau County Red Cross

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."