Backlash may move 9/11 terror trial from NYC
(AP) - Pressured by a growing clamor from New York,the Obama administration is considering moving the trial of Sept.11 terror suspects away from Manhattan, where it had been scheduledjust blocks from the site of the twin towers attack.
The city's top police official says he thinks the trial won'ttake place anywhere in the city.
The Justice Department is drawing up plans for possiblealternate locations to try professed 9/11 mastermind Khalid SheikhMohammed and four alleged accomplices in case Congress or localofficials prevent the trial from being held in Manhattan, twoadministration officials said Friday.
Though the officials wouldn't discuss locations underconsideration, others have suggested Governors Island, a formermilitary base in New York Harbor that now welcomes summertimepicnickers and bike riders; the U.S. Military Academy at West Pointor Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, N.Y.
The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because theywere not authorized to discuss the deliberation.
New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told reporters Fridaythat a backlash had made it "unlikely" the case would go forwardin the city. He said plans to hold the trial there started tounravel after a speech he gave recently detailing the enormouscosts and logistical challenges of ensuring security at the FederalCourthouse in lower Manhattan.