Man dies after being pulled from burning home

A Port Jefferson Station man is dead after a fire tore through his home Monday night.

Police say 52-year-old Gerald Berberich was unconscious when he was pulled out of the house by firefighters just after 10 p.m. Neighbors say he was trying to get out of the house. Berberich died a short time later at Mather Hospital. No one else was at the Davis Avenue home at the time of the fire. No word yet on what sparked the blaze, but neighbors say Berberich may have fallen asleep while he was smoking.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."