Family furious hospital technician still on the job
The survivors of a Long Island woman who died following an accidental radiation overdose are outraged her radiation technician remains on the job.
Barbara Velenza Gorman was being treated for lung cancer when she suffered an accidental overdose of radiation at Stony Brook University Hospital last year. Gorman received 10 times the prescribed radiation. The overdose forced doctors to stop further chemotherapy.
Gorman's family says her life was not only shortened, but her demise was incredibly painful.
"They call it human error," says Danny Velenza, Gorman's son. "I call it negligence."
The family sued the hospital and settled out of court. They claim the technician was never fired and are demanding her dismissal.