Fire marshal rules school blaze an accident

The fire at an elementary school in West Babylon ignited because a contractor stored combustible materials in trash bags, the town fire marshal ruled Thursday.

The blaze broke out last week at South Bay Elementary School. Officials say a contractor was refinishing the gym floor and his supplies spontaneously caught fire.

No one was injured in the incident, but the school was destroyed.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."