Westbury family escape smoke-filled home

Six adults and five children were rushed to the hospital Friday morning after their Westbury home filled with smoke.

Firefighters say the oil burner backed up, sending a plume of black smoke into the home. They say it could have been avoided with a little maintenance.

?If they don't have their nozzles checked, don't have their chimneys cleaned, don't have all the filters changed, then you're going to get a backup," says Westbury Fire Chief Douglas Ingram.

Everyone in the home is recovering.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."