Mother and son rescued from CO poisoning

A North Valley Stream mother and son were rescued Sunday by a police officer after their home became filled with carbon monoxide fumes.

Police say the officer responded to a carbon monoxide call at the Putney Road home Sunday and found the 39-year-old woman on the floor by the door. The officer says she mumbled "my son" before passing out.

The woman's 8-year-old son was found unconscious in his bedroom on the second floor. Both mother and son were transported to Nassau University Medical Center for treatment.

"Most houses have maybe one part per million of carbon monoxide in their homes," Lt. Kevin Smith says. "In this particular case, it was well over 500 ppm."

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."