Emergency prep update eyed for Suffolk
Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy has ordered a review of Suffolk's emergency preparedness plans after more than 2,300 calls to 911 went unanswered during last month's nor'easter.
According to officials, one in five calls to 911 did not reach an operator because the system was overloaded during the storm.
Levy says he wants the review completed by June 1 and hopes to find an updated system that can better accommodate everyone. A $7 million 911 upgrade is already planned in Nassau County.
Levy also encourages residents to call the Suffolk Police Department's non-emergency line at 631-852-COPS. He says the 911 system should not get overloaded with calls that aren't true emergencies.