Greenlawn Water District issues boil water notice
Residents in the Greenlawn Water District are being told to boil any water they get from the tap before using it.
E. Coli was found in the water at a well in Commack, causing the district to issue the boil water alert.
Officials say anyone who lives in the area should boil the water for at least one minute first before drinking it or cooking with it.
No E. coli was detected in the distribution system, but as a precaution the district is flushing and chlorinating water to kill any bacteria.
Water contaminated with E. coli can cause diarrhea, nausea and headaches.
Bottles of water are being given out to residents. News 12 Long Island will let you know when the tap water is safe to drink.