Officials: NYC subway bomb plot part of larger al-Qaida conspiracy
(AP) - A failed plot to set off bombs in the New Yorksubway system last year was part of a larger al-Qaida terroristconspiracy that included a similar attack planned in England, U.S.prosecutors said Wednesday. In an indictment unsealed Wednesday in federal court inBrooklyn, prosecutors added several al-Qaida figures to the case,including Adnan Shukrijumah, an FBI most-wanted terrorist. Shukrijumah, one of the al-Qaida leaders in charge of plottingattacks worldwide, was directly involved in recruiting and plottingthe New York attack, prosecutors said. Attorney General Eric Holderhas called that plot one of the most dangerous since 9/11. Three of the men indicted Wednesday - Abid Naseer, Tariq UrRehman and an alleged al-Qaida operative known as "Ahmad" - werelinked to a previously undisclosed companion plot in England. "These charges underscore the global nature of the terroristthreat we face," said David Kris, the Justice Department's topnational security prosecutor. The Associated Press first reported last week that U.S.authorities believe Shukrijumah was involved in the subway plot,and that Ahmad is in Pakistani custody. Three U.S. citizens were arrested in September 2009 before,prosecutors said, they could carry out a trio of suicide bombingsin Manhattan. Najibullah Zazi, a former Denver airport shuttledriver, and Zarein Ahmedzay have pleaded guilty and admittedplanning to detonate homemade bombs on the subway during rush hour. A third man, Adis Medunjanin, awaits trial. Prosecutors addednew terrorism charges against him Wednesday. There was no immediate response to a phone message left withMedunjanin's attorney.