Detective: Robert Wagner not a suspect in Natalie Wood's death

(AP) - Actor Robert Wagner is not a suspect in the30-year-old drowning of his actress wife, Natalie Wood, and thereis nothing to indicate a crime, even though the investigation hasbeen reopened, a sheriff's detective said Friday. "Her death was an accident, an accidental drowning," saidSheriff's Lt. John Corina. Officials would not say why they were taking another look at thecase, although the captain of the boat where the couple had stayedblamed Wagner for Wood's death. There have always been questions about Wood's death on Nov. 29,1981, with renewed attention on the case as the anniversary neared.The case's re-opening and a public call for information are thefirst hint that the official account may need revision. Within hours of the announcement, Corina said, several peopleemerged offering their recollections of what happened in the watersoff Southern California's Santa Catalina Island. But he quickly noted that nothing the agency has received so farhas prompted it to change the view that there was no foul play. The boat's captain, Dennis Davern, said Friday on NBC's"Today" show that he lied to investigators about events on theyacht Splendour when he was interviewed after Wood's death. Davern accused Wagner of having a fight with Wood before shewent missing and delaying the search for her after she disappeared. Wagner's family released a statement through a spokesman thatsaid they trusted detectives to evaluate any new information anddetermine whether it came from "a credible source or sources otherthan those simply trying to profit from the 30-year anniversary ofher tragic death." It did not mention Davern by name, and noted that detectiveshadn't contacted Wagner or his family. On the show, Davern mentioned a book he co-wrote last year onWood's death, but refused to say precisely why he blamed Wagner forthe three-time Oscar nominee's death. Davern also denied that hewas seeking to profit from interest in the case.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."