6 people sick from CO leak at Hempstead home

Cops say half a dozen people got sick today from carbon monoxide at a home in Nassau County.

Police say several people, including an infant, had to be rushed to the hospital when they started feeling sick.

Fire officials say an oil-burner backup caused the carbon monoxide readings to be high. Firefighters say there's an increase in carbon monoxide cases during this time of year because people are turning on their heat for the first time of the season.

No one was seriously hurt during the incident.

Experts recommend that residents have their burners serviced at least once a year.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."