Gas leak in vacant St. James home upsets neighbors

A gas leak was discovered in a vacant home in St. James Tuesday afternoon.



Chief William Theobalt says the St. James Fire Department was called to a home on Northern Boulevard at around 3:30 p.m. after a construction worker walked into the house and smelled gas. Theobalt says a pipe had been cut, allowing gas to fill the home. He says the stove was left on, as well.



Officials quickly cut the gas supply to the property. The chief says there were some temporary evacuations of neighboring homes. Neighbors call the house a blight in the community.



"It's an eyesore, potentially dangerous," said Chris Lapresti, who wants to see the home torn down.



Lapresti says the home, which is currently owned by a bank, has been vacant for about eight months.



Police say someone appeared to have ransacked the house before the gas leak. Neighbors say they have called the authorities multiple times after witnessing people entering the abandoned home during overnight hours.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."