Utah 2-year-old frees twin from under fallen dresser
After surveillance video of a 2-year-old Utah boy freeing his twin brother from a collapsed dresser went viral, doctors and consumer advocates around the country are calling for parents to be aware of the risk of falling furniture.
In the video, which the toddlers' parents posted on YouTube, twins Bowdy and Brock Shoff climb up a dresser, which crashes down on top of them, trapping the latter from the waist up.
Bowdy, in a show of strength, lifts it just enough for his brother to wriggle free.
Dr. Susan Katz, of Stony Brook Children's Hospital, says the event should remind parents to take measures to protect curious children from household items that could fall on top of them.
"We need to think ahead for them and think about securing our furniture," Katz says. "Our dressers that we think are very heavy, we need to mount them to the wall. Especially our TVs...they're so easy to tip over now, and children are getting hurt."
The twins' mother agrees.
"Everybody needs to bolt their dressers down to the wall," says Kayli Shoff. "Accidents are going to happen."
The head of the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission also joined the call for firmer furniture.
According to the website AnchorIt.gov, a person is injured by falling furniture every 15 minutes in the United States, and 46 percent of those accidents happen in a bedroom. An incident is fatal on average of once every two weeks, the site says.
Tethering kits and installation instructions are available online.
Safety experts also say parents should keep eyes on their children at all times. The Shoff family recorded the Utah incident with a so-called nanny cam in the toddlers' room.