Officials: 31 indicted in massive Nassau narcotics takedown
Nearly two dozen people were arrested Thursday in what is being called one of the biggest narcotics takedowns in Long Island's history.
Police and members of the FBI's Long Island Gang Task Force executed search warrants at multiple locations in both Nassau and Suffolk counties early Thursday morning. They say the searches rendered three assault rifles, three loaded handguns, more than 1 kilogram of cocaine, several hundred grams of heroin and several cars with places to hide guns and drugs.
Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas said the arrests include five major suppliers who were responsible for dealing $2 million to $3 million of cocaine and heroin on Long Island over the past four months.
Prosecutors say 38-year-old David Ramis was the head of the ring.
Police say evidence was gathered at multiple points, including when a Nassau K9 found $56,000 in a car that had been abandoned in Garden City after a car crash.
Rockville Centre Police Commissioner Chuck Gennario says the entire investigation began nine months ago with a car stop.
"There was a car stop by a Rockville Centre police officer, and it led to a street level arrest. He developed some information that he passed onto the detectives," says Gennario.
The defendants were arraigned in Mineola throughout the afternoon on various drug and weapons charges. Several of them were held without bail.
Singas says the investigation is continuing and more arrests are expected.