CO scare forces evacuation of West Babylon ShopRite

A carbon monoxide scare in West Babylon forced the evacuation of a supermarket. 



Police say they were originally called to the ShopRite on Route 109 with reports of a person with low blood sugar.



When the ambulance showed up, the first responder carbon monoxide detector went off.



The fire department then evacuated the store due to high levels of carbon monoxide from a problem in the bakery oven.



A total of 41 people in the store were checked out at the scene. Officials say five of those were transported with elevated levels and 10 refused medical treatment.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."