Sachem East High School student hospitalized after possibly taking K2
A robocall from the district Tuesday evening reported incidents of Sachem East High School students getting sick after taking a dangerous synthetic drug known as K2.
"We have recently experienced a couple of very frightening situations where our students experienced severe seizures as a result of using the synthetic cannabinoid commonly known as K2 or Spice," Sachem's superintendent said in the message.
Police will only confirm that a 16-year-old girl was transported from Sachem East to Stony Brook University Hospital at around 9:15 a.m. Monday.
The superintendent addressed the concerns at a school board meeting Wednesday evening. The district says several teens at the school took K2 and suffered seizures.
The automated message told parents that students having any involvement with drugs in school will face suspensions and a superintendent's hearing, although the district admitted that catching offenders can be difficult.
"The K2 is deadly and unlike smoking marijuana it is odorless and very difficult to detect," the superintendent said later in the message. "The devices come in very small sizes, which are easy to conceal."
The district did not return News 12 calls seeking additional information.